Saturday, August 28, 2010

First day of school






Corryn and I made it through the first day of school this Thursday, August 26. Many of the students were still on summer holiday, so Corryn only had three of his ten students and I had two of eleven! Made for a pretty easy first week. Corryn's three students are from Indonesia, Malaysia, Azerbaijan. Mine are from the U.S. and Columbia. I was subbing the first week for a teacher from the U.S. who was still en route. Next week, I'll be teaching intensive English and Art (Yay!). So far, the students are really interesting kids who are quite cosmopolitan and intelligent. It's neat to see kids from all different cultures hanging out together and getting along. It's hard to imagine the life they live-- there's actually a name for kids like these... "three culture kids." Here are a couple of pics from the first day. The top picture is Saltana (one of our teacher aides) and I at happy hour yesterday (Friday)! There's an Irish pup near the school and I was really glad to be there after a long week!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice and informative note. Love your writing skills. No wonder you're teaching English. Keep the pictures coming. I am enjoying the scenes. Mrs. Kohlmeier only conjures up images of Grandma. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! If you ever need art lesson ideas, feel free to hit me up, someone should be teaching all those lessons I wrote. Mr. Lab misses Uncle Beard, let's get iChat up and running soon!

    ReplyDelete